Operational Changes at HLA in Response to Public Health Situation

Programs & Services

For more than 70 years, we have been dedicated to the principle that no one in our community shall be denied justice because of a lack of means.


The Civil Program of Hiscock Legal Aid provides legal representation in divorce, domestic violence, landlord/tenant, foreclosure, and unemployment insurance benefit matters, as further detailed below.


We represent individuals, including domestic violence survivors, in divorce proceedings in Onondaga County. If you are interested in obtaining a divorce and cannot afford an attorney please call 315-422-8191 to be screened for eligibility.

Housing/Eviction Defense

Aided by funding from the City of Syracuse we represent low income persons and families who reside in privately-owned property in the City of Syracuse and are facing eviction, illegal lock-out, or other housing emergency situations. We also provide advice, brief services, and referrals in other housing matters to address problems tenants face in an effort to avoid eviction and homelessness. If you are a tenant facing eviction or having a problem with your landlord please call 315-422-8191 to be screened for eligibility.

Foreclosure Prevention Project

Through funding from the Homeowners Protection Program (HOPP) we are able to provide foreclosure prevention counseling and representation to homeowners in Onondaga, Oswego, Cayuga, and Cortland counties. If you are facing foreclosure please call 315-422-8191 to be screened for eligibility.

Unemployment Insurance Benefit Claims

We also represent people who have lost their job and who are seeking Unemployment Insurance Benefits. If you were denied Unemployment Insurance Benefits or have questions please call 315-422-8191 to be screened for eligibility.


Representation is provided for adults in Onondaga County Family Court for “mandated cases” in which NYS law requires the assignment of counsel to those who cannot afford an attorney. Mandated cases include abuse/neglect, custody/visitation, termination of parental rights, paternity, family offense and support violation, usually assigned to HLAS by the Court. Some clients work both with a Staff Attorney and an HLAS Licensed Master Social Worker to receive both legal assistance and social work services or referrals for such services as  mental health or substance abuse treatment or housing assistance.


Thanks primarily to the support of the New York State Office for New Americans and the New York State Liberty Defense Project we are able to provide immigration legal services to three regions of New York State, covering a total of 18 counties, as follows:

  • Central New York (Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Onondaga, and Oswego Counties)
  • Mohawk Valley (Herkimer, Fulton, Montgomery, Schoharie, Otsego, and Oneida Counties)
  • North Country (Clinton, Essex, Hamilton, Franklin, St. Lawrence, Jefferson, and Lewis Counties)

Under these programs we provide immigration legal services, including assistance with naturalization, adjustment of status, family reunification, asylum, employment authorization, travel documents, temporary protected status, deportation and removal defense, and more. We are also available to provide off-site Legal Clinics, Community Information Sessions, and Know Your Rights presentations, and to answer immigration queries from community members and partners.

Those seeking any of the above services should call us at (315) 422-8191, or contact the New Americans Hotline at 1-800-566-7636.


The Society provides representation to persons on appeal from criminal convictions and from judgments of Family Court. Cases are assigned by the Appellate Division of the Fourth Judicial Department and the New York State Court of Appeals.


The Society represents parolees in parole revocation proceedings brought by the New York State Division of Parole. Cases are assigned by Onondaga County Court.


Representation is provided in Onondaga County Court to persons facing extradition to another state to answer criminal charges. Cases are assigned by Onondaga County Court.